Monday, November 30, 2015

Dealing With Errors


One of the most common questions that I hear from trainers who choose to incorporate correction into their training is: "what do you do when your dog doesn't do what you want?"

This is a great question.  Some people actually have the impression that +R trainers allow their dogs to do whatever they want, whenever they want, and that if the dog does not respond correctly to a trained cue, we do absolutely nothing.  This is a misconception.  Our dogs would not be trained if we did not do something to address errors.  The fact that I choose not to employ some kind of correction does not mean that I choose to do absolutely nothing.

So, what do +R trainers do to deal with errors?

First, allow me to clarify that I am speaking specifically about addressing errors that occur with fully trained behaviors with which the dog has demonstrated prior and consistent understanding.  Also, I am not addressing situations where the dog is choosing not to comply to a cue due to physical pain or discomfort, or because of significant fear, or circumstances where non-compliance would put the dog (or anyone else) in danger.  In those instances, training is not the issue at hand, and the pain, fear, or safety issue must be addressed directly.


Dealing with Errors from a +R Point of View

1.  Ignore the Error

Sometimes this is the best way to handle an error, especially if it is a very random or out-of-character mistake.

There are times when I mean to turn left and I turn right.  In those cases, I don't need information from anyone else to tell me that I went the wrong way.  I realize it the second I make the wrong turn.

I approach occasional random incorrect responses from my dog from this perspective.  No living being is 100% all the time.  There are times when I conclude that the best response to an error is to simply ignore it.


Example:  I ask my dog to jump up on the sofa and sit so I can put on his collar, and he jumps up and lays down.  I proceed to put on his collar in spite of the fact that he is laying down, not sitting.

In this instance, the fact that he is laying down, not sitting is of no consequence, so I ignore the error and go on with what I need to do.




2.  Provide positive feedback for the effort, but not the highest value reinforcer

This is the most common way that I choose to handle errors.  And this is always my approach when my dog and I are working in a new context, or in a situation where the dog might be experiencing some level of stress, or if I see confidence wavering.

I might say, "good try!", but not give a treat.  Or I might give a tiny bit of a treat, but not a jackpot.

In these cases, I do let the dog know very clearly that I am pleased with the efforts made, but I leave something bigger for the dog to score when the correct response is given.

Example:   I cue a tunnel on an Agility course, and the dog takes a jump.  I say, "good try" and toss a treat behind me to set the dog up to try again.  I reserve a game of tug (highest value to this particular dog) for the correct response.

Some trainers object to this approach, claiming that the dog will persist in the error if any measure of reinforcement is provided when an incorrect response was offered.  This has not been my experience.  I have found consistently that providing some degree of positive feedback for effort has resulted in the dog remaining engaged, keeping his or her mind in the game, and actually builds understanding of correct responses much faster than ignoring incorrect responses altogether.

However, if the dog continues to repeat the error, I do break off and provide extra assistance to help the dog see how to be correct and get the higher value reinforcer.

 

3.  Reset the Exercise/Cue dog again/Jackpot correct response

This approach will follow either of the above choices - I have ignored the error, or I have provided some positive feedback for effort.  Or, I have broken the dog off mentally from the first attempt by tossing a treat or giving the dog a chance to sniff or take a moment of down time before setting up again.

Now the dog has a new opportunity.  The behavior is cued again.  If the dog is correct, a jackpot is given to emphasize that the correct response has been given.

Example:   Dog is cued to sit and stay.  As handler walks away, dog gets up.  Handler returns to dog, says, "good try" and tosses a treat to break off the exercise, then sets the dog up again and cues the stay, walks away (dog stays).  Handler returns, gives dog five treats in succession as a jackpot.



Frequently, after the dog has responded correctly and received the jackpot, I will move to something else for a time.  In doing this, I allow the opportunity for latent learning to occur after the jackpot given for the correct response.

4.  Provide more, or clearer, information

Sometimes when an error is made, the dog needs more information.  Perhaps a reminder of what is desired, or a clearer cue.

At times, I will go out of my way to provide this information.  I might show the dog a large visual cue, or I might bring a target into the picture, or I might use some kind of physical guide (ex. a ring gate or platform), or even a food lure to set the dog up for success and to give the dog extra information, or the needed reminder.

Example:   I cue my dog to down from a stand and my dog offers a bow.  I get a mat and repeat the exercise, stopping so the dog is standing on the mat when we stop, and then cue the down.  Since the dog is strongly conditioned to down on the mat, the dog lays right down.



I am honestly not concerned, in these instances, with the fact that the dog is "supposed to know" what I want.  If the dog is not responding correctly, something has, in fact, broken down.  The dog may honestly be confused, or the dog may not be able to generalize the behavior in that particular situation, or the dog might be stressed or distracted.  Unless I have reason to be concerned about my dog's well being, I am not really concerned with any of that.  I simply provide the reminder or additional information to see if that will get the dog back on track.

5.  Take it back to training

Sometimes the error is not simply a matter of genuine mistake, or temporary "brain fade", but the behavior truly has broken down, or it needs more work to become fully fluent.

In those cases, I ignore the error and make a plan to take the behavior back to training.

Example:  At an Agility trial, the dog does not read the handling provided and takes the wrong piece of equipment in a discrimination.  I move on in the course, and then go on later to on discrimination skills in training.


When working on the behavior in training, I will lower criteria, raise the rate of reinforcement, and give the dog ample opportunity to practice the correct behavior.  In the context of training, I will also focus on fluency building and make sure the dog has the opportunity to generalize the behavior adequately. 




What about NRM's?

I realize that many who are +R trainers use NRM's (Non-Reward Markers) to address errors, but it is not my choice to do so.  When working with my dog, it is always my direct intention to communicate "how to be right" to my dog, rather than "that is wrong".

NRM's mark mistakes.  They do not, in themselves, provide information that will assist the dog in choosing to respond to cues correctly.  Therefore, I do not consider the use of NRM's to be in conformity with my approach to training dogs, so I do not use them to handle errors. 


When Management is Needed

There are times, of course, when management is needed.  If the behavior that has broken down is a recall, it is always my choice to work on that behavior in a fenced area, or with the dog on a long line for safety.

If the dog suddenly begins counter surfing, I will keep my counters clean and free of tempting items as the dog is learning a default "four on the floor" to greater fluency.

Generally speaking, management is temporary and is needed only until the training "catches up" and the dog, once again, becomes reliable.  Management is "an ounce of prevention" that helps facilitate the "cure".

A Multi-Dimensional Answer

The answer to this question, "what do you do to deal with errors if you don't use corrections?" cannot really be given in a short answer.  As +R trainers, we have a good many options at our disposal for handling error, and it is up to the trainer to discern the best course of action, given the dog and circumstances at hand.

But I can say this simply, we do not simply "do nothing".  We have effective options at our disposal and we proactively use them.



 

 














 

No comments:

Post a Comment